Fedora 31, lyp 1.3.8 installed with the bash script. Tried to install with gem but failed.
Installed two versions of Lilypond. One as the system branch, 2.19.84, and the one through lyp, 2.20.0. I tried to compile a file called "experiment.ly". I had two different results.
- The lyp-installed 2.20.0 failed to produce a pdf. The log was as follows:
"GNU LilyPond 2.20.0
/tmp/lyp/wrappers/experiment.ly' Parsing... Interpreting music... Preprocessing graphical objects... Finding the ideal number of pages... Fitting music on 1 page... Drawing systems... Layout output to/tmp/lilypond-39l9t3'...
experiment.pdf'... warning:(gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595.28 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=841.89 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dAutoRotatePages=/None -dPrinted=false -sOutputFile=experiment.pdf -c.setpdfwrite -f/tmp/lilypond-39l9t3)' failed (139)
fatal error: failed files: "/tmp/lyp/wrappers/experiment.ly"
The good thing is that the file lilypond-39l9t3 in /tmp, which is the ps intermediate file, was ok. I converted it with gsview (it complained and never actually showed the ps file itself, but converted it to a pdf anyway. Both files could be seen with document viewer without a problem). Now, I had included a \require "bravura" in there, and the ps file was rendered correctly with bravura font. Apart from the pdf generation, all ok.
- When I tried the system version with the same file, it did not complain for anything. It did produce the pdf, but there was no bravura font. It was in the emmentaller font.
The whole issue looks like an issue in the past with ghostscript that I found in the lilypond mailing list.